Wednesday, July 21, 2010

So, since your from Utah are you...

Where to even start...
So a couple weeks ago after turning in applications to.. 10+ stores(my options are pretty limited cause Nate needs the car all day) Anyways, I got my courage up to apply to a restaurant as a server and well.. I got it! I have never had the desire to work at a restaurant, never wanted to know what happens in the kitchen, or leave work smelling like food, and well...I stutter when I get nervous and so this whole thing has been very intimidating and way out of my element!!

TRAINING PART ONE 7/13/2010-7/17/2010
So I started training with 2 other people. Sandi and Richie. As we were taking our Alcohol beverage class
Richie says to me, "Your from Utah right?"
Me, "Ya"
Richie, "I want to tell you about a dream I had 3 or 4 years ago"
Me, ? Okay
Richie, "Well I had this dream over and over for 5 days. I kept dreaming that I was driving around and around this big white building in Salt Lake. I never went inside but just kept driving around it. I told my Mormon friend about this dream and she gave me this card that had some writing on it and on the back it had that big white building I had seen in my dream on the back (pass a long card) I had never seen this building before anywhere else except in my dream and on this card. I asked my Mormon friend what my dream meant, she said that it was a sign. But that's as far as it went because I moved away"
So What does this dream mean? Do you think that this is weird?
Me, (Whoa! I have never really had the opportunity to really discuss the church like this) I told him I didn't think it was weird and that he should come to church with us and we could tell him more about the church and maybe we could figure out what this dream means :)
He had to work on Sunday but said he will come when he doesn't have to work! I gave the missionaries his info and we plan on having everyone over!!! So I'll keep ya'll posted!

TRAINING PART TWO 7/19/2010
Okay so for a week I followed around as a trainee and Monday I was given 2 tables on my own. I thought I did pretty good. I felt it went alot smoother than I anticipated!
And I honestly have so much more respect for Servers.. It's not easy!

TRAINING PART THREE 7/20/2010
Day two on my own. I picked up a shift for a girl who is very experienced. The manger didn't really think about it when he decided to give me all 4 of her tables!! (I barley kept up with 2 the day before) So last night was CRAZY busy!! I had one table that I swear.. If something went wrong.. Everything did!! I had lots of Specialty drinks I had to pick up from the bar ***note-- A Margarita and a Martini are not the same.. at all!! lol.. I have alot to learn in that area haha! But I had alot of customers that were also very nice and told me they weren't in a hurry and that I was doing just fine! So a little encouragement on the side was nice but still I was "in the weeds" most then night!! I had one couple ask if I was from somewhere Interesting because of my accent or "Lack of accent"! I guess I need to work on my Texas Twang! lol
After my shift my manager talked to me and apologized and said they put me in a VERY hard area with way to many tables but that I did the best I could, and that he was very impressed that I kept myself together as well as I could ( He only had to tell me to take a deep breath and to keep breathing once! =D) So After such a crazy night it was nice to see that he noticed that I really did do my best and that even though I made some decent tips that night, I will be going back to 2 tables for while! I think that's probably a good idea!
After we talked about my shift my Manager asked me if since I was from Utah if I was Mormon. He said he was curious about all religions and asked if he could ask some questions without offending me. I cleared up some of his thoughts he had about "Mormons" and that We really believed in God the Eternal Father and his Son Jesus Christ and in the holy Ghost. And that they are all separate beings. and Yes we don't drink and Yes we try not to cuss. I told him that we aren't perfect but that we try. There was alot of people coming in and out of the office so he said we would talk later about this Mormon religion.

So what a crazy couple of weeks!! I am so excited that I took this opportunity to work in a place that tests not only my waitress ability but my ability to share my testimony with others! If this was the whole reason we were to come to Texas, Then I am so grateful for it!!

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome Rufio! It makes me want to cry! I have never had that kind of thing happen to me before to be able to share my testimony like that. I think you answered both people's questions perfectly! I am sure that is a HUGE reason you are in Texas. :)
    I am so proud of you!
    Good luck with the new job. That sounds so hard! I don't think I could work with the public like that. I am too used to just emailing people and not having to actually personally deal with them. People are so annoying and demanding! I am so proud of you. Keep up the great work!
    Where are you working anyway?
    My mom's oldest sister lives in Houston, John & Denise Allen. I wonder if you'll ever run into them? Her hubby is the stake president.
    Well I luff you! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruthie, You are awesome AND you make me laugh. What a cool experience!
    Love, your cuz, Michelle

    ReplyDelete